The success of Awamaki’s work is made possible by the generosity and commitment of our volunteers. We rely on volunteers’ fresh ideas and skills to constantly improve and expand our projects. Their support helps hardworking women lift themselves and their communities out of poverty.
We offer two types of volunteer opportunities
Organizational Volunteers: operate much like our full-time staff, typically committed to ten weeks to six months of service in Peru.
- Interns: we extend our Volunteer program with additional guidance, goal setting and sponsorship
- Long-Term Volunteers: for Volunteers of greater than six months, we refund most fees
Service Travel Volunteers: tailored program for shorter stays of between three to nine weeks. Includes additional activities such as Spanish classes and tourism for an immersive cultural experience.
As a volunteer with Awamaki, you’ll brainstorm community education tactics, visit remote Andean communities, guide tourists in cultural excursions, rally fair trade supporters, work with local weavers and much more. You’ll play an essential role in our work to create change in the Sacred Valley.
Volunteer opportunities typically fall under three main projects
- Women’s Cooperatives
- Sustainable Tourism
- Community Education
Volunteers might engage in
- functional roles specific to a project (e.g. textile design, teaching, guiding tours) or
- horizontal roles across projects (e.g. marketing and communications, photography/videography) or both
We strive to meet your specific interests, skills and passions while also promoting assignment flexibility to support successful project outcomes and teamwork.
Is Awamaki the right fit for you?
Thriving volunteers are typically
- passionate about international development
- interested in connecting with Latin America and its rich culture, history and people
- comfortable with high levels of autonomy and responsibility over individual projects
Learn more about